Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Avoid The Squeeze Page “One Time Offer” Trap

Don’t be fooled.  You will not die, contract an incurable disease or be the single cause of global warming should you choose not to take up the “One Time Offer”, known in the trade as “OTO”, on squeeze pages.



Squeeze pages are those rubbishy-looking online advertisements, typically screenloads long that invite you to buy or download a special offer RIGHT NOW! Psychology is at work on even the most basic squeeze pages – a topic I’ll discuss  in another article.  There is no doubt that squeeze pages are effective.

What really angers me are the OTOs with which you’re presented after you’ve entered your name and email and then moved on to page 2 of the process.  By the way, the key purpose of squeeze pages in NOT to give you access to some life-changing product or opportunity – it’s to collect your name and email address and put you on the site owner’s mailing list.

There, before I can received the product is yet another page telling me that I am now one of the privileged few who are able to grab an even better offer.  All I have to do is pay (more) money.

To get past this OTO, I again have to scroll down multiple screenloads and find. usually at the bottom of the page though not always, a link that says something like “No, thanks. I understand that I will never again be offered this fantastic deal.”  Another click. 

Do I now get my product? Nooooo, I’m given another OTO, either a further discount on the page 2 OTO or a slightly different product/price configuration.  No matter which, in order to get to my original page 1 offer, more scrolling.

At the bottom of this, page 3,  when I search hard enough, I’ll find yet another “No, thanks. I understand that I will never again be offered this fantastic deal.”  Click again and if I’m lucky, I might just get to the product that I originally ordered on page 1.

Why do I go through this tedious process?  Simple, I’ve made commitment, I want my product and the internet marketer knows it.  He/she has a captive audience for their real money-spinner.

It’s a clever technique and it drives me insane.

When I go shopping, real-life shopping that is, in a department store, supermarket, bookstore, whatever, I’m given the opportunity to browse.  I’m there to buy should something take my fancy.   In other words, I’m given the opportunity to research until I find a product I consider to be of value to me.

I can see, if not use, the goods on offer and I’m allowed to ask questions before committing to a purchase.

Sales professionals who are on hand to answer questions and give advice – perhaps on alternative products and/or up-sells – add to the experience.  I’m being educated, not pressured. 

Whether I buy anything on that visit or not is almost irrelevant.  My experience on this occasion will determine whether or not I’ll return or recommend the shop to others. 

A good experience that builds buyer confidence and trust will convert me from a one-time potential into an unpaid affiliate and return customer.

It’s a proven, repeatable process.

The worst example of online internet marketing one-time-offer promotions happened to me earlier this week.  Last week I went through the squeeze page/OTO, harder-to-climb-than-Mt-Everest sales process that had at least 2 if not 3 ‘never-to-be-repeated’ special offers.

I declined all but the original offer which involved of course, submitting my name and email address.  Something I was prepared to do.

Three days later I received an email from the site owner advising me that there had been a ‘glitch’ in their system the day I joined.  In case I’d not seen my once-in-a-life-time-offer due to the problem, it was again being offered to me BUT ONLY ONCE AND FOR A VERY LIMITED PERIOD!  The call to action was loud and clear.

I received three emails with the same content that day from three different sources.  What frauds!  I’m glad I refused their one-time-offer – the first, second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth times!

I’d tell you the name of the site so you can avoid it but as someone once said, “there’s no such thing as bad publicity” and I wont do them the favour.

All I suggest is that you be alert to these kinds of emotional ploys and don’t fall victim to the hype.

When decide to commit to a page 1 squeeze page offer, get the that offer only and evaluate whether or not it’s of value to you.  If it is and you would like to upgrade, you can always return to the site and USE A DIFFERENT EMAIL ADDRESS to get to the subsequent offers. Yes, you’ll get double their mailings but you can always unsubscribe or at least block them with your email anti-spam software.

Even if the site has integrity and the offer has ended, there’ll be plenty of others to take its place.

There is one internet marketing program I’ve discovered however that takes an entirely different approach.  It’s a free eBook by ClickBank expert, Harvey Segal.

The download is instant.  You don’t need to enter your name or email address, let alone go through the tortuous OTOs on subsequent pages.  So what’s the catch?  I’m sure he’s not an internet philanthropist.  What does he get out of this?  I’ll tell you.   Harvey gets, only when you elect to take up the offer after reading the eBook, you on his mailing list. It’s not an OTO. 

I downloaded Harvey Segal's eBook, read it and learnt some valuable internet marketing insights.  I’m now an affiliate.  There’s no point in me explaining Harvey’s ingenious process now.  The eBook is truly free and I repeat,  you don’t need to enter your name or email address to access it.

Download it for yourself and make your own value judgement without the hype and pressure of squeeze page OTOs.


Prue Rowland
Clip Magic
Web design :: SEO :: Email Marketing

About Me

My sales and marketing career has taken me all over the world. I've also had the benefit of seeing the business scenario from the 'back-end' having been a business analyst in research and development roles.
My business philosophy is grounded experience. Starting out as a Customer Service Representative, I view technology as a means to an end, not the end itself. I believe in using technology to help people in their day-to-day activities; strive constantly to improve communication between people both on a social and business-to-business level and actively seek new ways to assist clients achieve their internet marketing goals.
Visit my website at www.clipmagic.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment